Videos are a dynamic way to interact with major SSR actors and fellow practitioners, featuring stories on security and state-building from around the world. Login to the Community of Practice to upload videos you would like to highlight about SSR that are not already featured.
Dr. Norman Mlambo SSR focal point at AU Commission - Peace and Security Department
- Peace and Security Department, African Union Commission
- Formerly, chief research specialist at the Africa Institute of South Africa
Brigadier General (ret'd) Kellie Conteh from Sierra Leone, Head of the Office of National Security Sierra Leone since 2002, talks about SSR in Sierra Leone, which is often seen as a success story for SSR. Specifically:
- Sierra Leone's historical setting - how it came to realise that it need SSR after 11 years of conflict
- what Sierra Leone was looking for to reform the security sector
- strategies developped by Sierra Leone to tackle reform.
The audio-only version of this video is available here.
Fernando Ponz, Deputy Head for West Africa, European Commission
- Joined the Spanish civil service in 1986
- In 2002 he joined the Commission’s External Service Directorate in Brussels, working i.a. on the design and development of the future common EU External Action Service
- In 2005 he was appointed Head of Section for political affairs and pre-accession at the Delegation of the Commission to Bulgaria
- Mr Ponz is a graduate in Political Science specialized in Foreign Affairs. He is a former Fulbright grantee, a Salzburg Seminar and a US German Marshall fund fellow
General Lamine Cissé of Senegal
- Educated at Saint-Cyr and National Defense University, Washington DC
- In 1996, he was appointed Chief of Defence Staff
- In 1997, named Minister of the Interior of Senegal
- In 2001, named head of the UN Mission in CAR
- From 2007-08 was head of UN office for West Africa
- Recent lead for AU/ECOWAS/UN SSR Assessment Mission to Guinea.
Comments from Mark Downes, Head of ISSAT, to open the Panel Discussion on SSR in West Africa and to introduce the panel members.