AU DSD has requested ISSAT support to strengthen the AU support to assist to national SSR processes, in this first instance, in Madagascar.
ISSAT will provide one advisor who will support the African Union Liaison Office (AULO), in assisting the Government of the Republic of Madagascar to maintain momentum in the implementation of the SSR strategic and operational plans. The advisor will be reinforced by backstopping from ISSAT main staff.
The first deployment will focus on the increase of insecurity caused by the Dahalo, and how the Government can better deal with the issue in a manner sensitive to the needs of the communities.
The focus of the subsequent two deployments will build on the findings from the first deployment and decided according to the needs identified in the first deployment.
Mandating organisation / agency / department / ministry
Target organisation type(s)
Mandate outputs / products
- A plan for the conduct of each of the three field missions before deployment.
- Substantive weekly updates on the development of the mission, to be sent to the SRCC with copies to the Head DSD and ISSAT focal point.
- End of mission report for the first deployment will include:
i. reflections on the sustainable management of the Dahalo phenomenon;
ii. dimensions of South-South cooperation and African solidarity principles, drawing on Malagasy learning from other similar African contexts and solutions;
iii. highlight security, political and technical risks to the implementation process of the SSR strategic and operational plans deriving from the Dahalo issue, as well as from the implementation of potential measures to address the issue;
iv. non-binding recommendations on the way forward.
Outcome objectives of mandate
- The SRCC to Madagascar and the AU Liaison Office in Madagascar are strongly enhanced in their advisory role to the SSR process in Madagascar, and are enabled to provide sound technical assistance according to the AU SSR Policy Framework and international, including African, good practice on security governance.
- The AU DSD is reinforced in its SSR advisory capacity, and on management and methodology of on-the-ground mission accompaniment, as well as in their capacity for mission lessons learning.