31 Jan and 1 Feb 2017: Conduct two days of training on SSR as part of the German General Staff Course (OF3 level - majors) on operational-level planning and leadership. The course will prepare the students to perform roles and responsibilities as planners on the operational level. They will thus be able to fulfill their specific duties in the upcoming exercises at the College against the background of the CERASIA scenario.
- 16 February 2017: Receive the annual visit from the Staff College to DCAF. Up to 15 OF3 will take part in the visit to International Geneva.
Target organisation type(s)
Mandate outputs / products
SSR advice and training to the military planning process.
Outcome objectives of mandate
- Increased understanding of the holistic nature of SSR:
- linkages between political, strategic, operational and tactical levels of planning, design and implementation
- linkages with other security, development, humanitarian, and peace process actors and programmes
- balancing accountability and effectiveness through adequate governance, oversight, and integrity mechanisms at complimentary levels of institution building
- Started initiatives for improving military planning processes for building in monitoring and assessment considerations at the design phase, and thus increasing chances of sustainability
- Increased understanding of the applicability of an SSR theory of change to military planning and mission command.