The main objective of the yearly Common Effort exercises is to develop and improve comprehensive thinking and working by learning from each other in direct interaction and exchanges of perspectives from a wide range of actors. Each year a complex, realistic situation is selected to exercise the comprehensive approach.
This year’s tasking is to perform a Joint Assessment along six assessment themes
(1) Protection of civilians assessment;
(2) Security Sector Reform assessment
(3) Good Governance assessment;
(4) Humanitarian assessment;
(5) Economic/Private Sector assessment;
(6) Strategic (/regional) assessment
The Joint Assessment is directed toward analysing and understanding the local conditions for stability, supplemented with regional factors.
ISSAT will co-facilitate the SSR theme.
Suggested pre-reading or preparation for this course include:
- SSR in a Nutshell Training Manual and/or
- SSR in a Nutshell e-learning course
- UN Defence Sector Reform policy and video
- Defence Sector Reform infographic
- Understand to Prevent Handbook (draft)
Copies of some of this material will be available during the exercise.