Reporting to: Programme Manager, Sub-Saharan Africa Division
Location: Geneva, with requirement for overseas travel
Deadline: Applications accepted until 28 February 2017
Background: The Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF) is one of the world’s leading organizations in the area of justice and security sector reform (SSR) and justice and security sector governance (SSG).
DCAF is looking for an experienced, motivated, and flexible junior professional who will provide daily support to Security Sector Reform and Governance (SSR/G) projects in Sub-Saharan Africa. As part of a team, the Project Assistant supports the design, planning, implementation, and/or monitoring of a diversity of field projects.
Eligible applicants must be Swiss or EU citizens, or hold a valid work permit for Switzerland. Other requirements for this position are:
- Demonstrated ability to draft clear and concise communications;
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and French;
- Advanced university degree or equivalent in international relations, peace, or security studies, with a strong focus on management and governance issues;
- Knowledge in the field of institutional reform, governance, international development, and/or security sector reform in Sub-Saharan Africa;
- Excellent academic research and analytical skills in social sciences or international law;
- Excellent organisational, administrative and logistical skills;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Access and Powerpoint;
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in an international team;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, solve problems and exercise initiative;
- Availability to travel to Sub-Saharan Africa.
The deadline for applications is 28 February 2017. The position commences in April/May 2017. Contract for twelve months with possibilities of extension.
DCAF is committed to a diverse workplace free of discrimination. Qualified candidates from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. For further information on DCAF, please visit our website: www.dcaf.ch.
Candidates meeting the qualifications are invited to e-mail their CV with a cover letter explaining their interest and suitability for the position to:
Head of Sub-Saharan Africa Division - DCAF
Ref: PA Sub-Saharan Africa
Due to the high number of applications, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.