Website Management Intern
DCAF-ISSAT is offering an internship opportunity focusing on website management, user-experience, multimedia design and production, and editorial content writing in the areas of Security Sector Reform (SSR), governance, security policy and international development.
You will support a large Community of Practice (CoP) where subject-expert users exchange information and access a wide variety of information resources, including e-learnings, project and training details, and a large resource library: http://issat.dcaf.ch
The role involves contributing to the website product management utilizing the Content Management System (eZ Publish), as well as carrying out user-experience research, keeping track of issues and managing Google and Campaign Monitor analytics. Furthermore, the intern will support the Designer and Website Manager in producing assets for the website, and with creating print, digital and video products with the Adobe Creative Cloud suite (focusing on Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Premiere Pro).
This would suit a Graduate or Master’s candidate looking to gain experience in website management and multimedia design and production in international organization setting, developing a range of technical, creative, management and editorial skills. These competences will set you in good stead for a career in marketing, project management, design and media production in the context of international development.
Affinity with graphic design and multimedia, website CMS and video editing tools are necessary. Understanding of issues relating to Security Sector Reform (SSR), security policy, international development is also required. (Please see: http://issat.dcaf.ch/Learn/SSR-Overview)
Required Skills / competences:
- Software skills (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere Pro);
- Affinity with graphic design / visual communication / website production;
- Familiarity with Content Management Systems (eZ Publish preferred, but experience with Drupal, Wordpress or even online builders such as Wix or Squarespace also considered);
- Ability to multi-task, carry out tasks as instructed, manage own workload, communicate effectively and operate as part of a team;
- Ability to write case studies, summaries and other text in the subject matter (good academic level, familiarity with SSR/International Development);
- Organisational skills;
- Attention to detail;
- Excellent level of English, written and spoken;
Desired Skills / Competences:
- Language skills (French preferred);
- Web programming or content management experience;
- Prior experience in assisting in the management of projects, in particular assisting in the organisation of conferences, workshops and training activities, is preferred.
- Technical ability with cameras and video equipment;
- Professional Social Media or Communications experience (eg: corporate Twitter account, writing press releases);
- SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) skills / experience;
The Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces is one of the world’s leading institutions in the areas of security sector reform (SSR) and security sector governance (SSG). DCAF provides in-country advisory support and practical assistance programmes, develops democratic norms at international and national levels, and makes policy recommendations to ensure effective democratic governance of the security sector.
DCAF’s International Security Sector Advisory Team (ISSAT) provides practical support to the international community to improve security and justice, primarily in conflict-affect and fragile states. ISSAT works with a group of member states and institutions to develop and promote good security and justice reform practices, helping its members to build their capacity.
Please send a cover letter and curriculum vitae detailing your suitability for the role as well as two writing samples (eg: academic texts, blog posts not more than five pages in length). A portfolio of examples with design or media projects (websites, print products, social media) is not required, but would enhance your application.
Please download and read the Terms of Reference for this position.