The Commission's Directorate-General for International Cooperation and Development (DG DEVCO) entrusted ISSAT to conduct a sectoral analysis in three Sahel countries (Niger, Chad and Burkina Faso). ISSAT is going to carry out assessments, elaborate practical tools and develop recommendations related to Security and Justice Sector Reform. Those activities aim at providing guidance to and fostering the coherence of existing and future projects supported by the European Emergency Trust Fund for Africa (Lake Chad/Sahel Window).
The project’s methodology aims at designing a shared reference base, which seeks to identify fundamental elements for ensuring the optimal functioning of a security system. On this basis, an evaluation grid will be developed and used in field missions in order to assess institutional needs in the security sector. The population’s needs are equally taken into account through perception surveys. An assessment of institutional cooperation in the field of security for each country, on a regional scale and with international partners, will also be conducted. The outcome of those various steps will allow for the formulation of operational guidance to the European Trust Fund, enhancing consistency and improving the effectiveness of its projects in the Sahel.
- Establish a baseline, identifying principles and necessary elements for a good functioning of the security and defence forces as well as the justice sector, responding to the needs of the communities they serve and the elected national authorities
- Gain a better understanding of the nature of cooperation on security, justice and defence in each of the target countries as well as on the regional and international level
- Formulate operational guidance and practical tools for the Fund with a view to improving the efficiency and coherence of its actions while respecting the principles of the rule of law and human rights, as well as assuring the participation of civil society and the consideration of gender issues
- Obtain an all-encompassing overview of security problems, especially needs voiced by the population; a mapping and precise analysis of the organisation and functioning of security, defence and justice institutions and their interaction; an identification of the overall needs of security, defence and justice institutions
- Obtain a situational analysis of cooperation on security, defence and justice at local, national, (sub-)regional and international levels
- Obtain recommendations to strengthen the Trust Fund’s approach
- Obtain practical tools that can facilitate the Fund’s capacity of identification, formulation, implementation and follow-up of its activities