Journalists and other members of the media often acknowledge the importance of strengthening their role in security sector governance. However, many media practitioners still face various obstacles and tend to encounter special challenges when reporting on security-related topics.
As a partial response to the challenges faced by journalists and other members of the media, the Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF) has produced this toolkit for trainers. While the toolkit has been developed in the Arab region and provides practical examples from this region, it has been designed to be used by media trainers in any region of the world.
Tool 6 aims to give participants a clear understanding of how to use social media in covering security sector topics and events. This includes:
• Understanding what social media is
• Becoming aware of the potential professional advantages of using social media in covering security sector events
• Gaining practical knowledge of how to use specific social media platforms
• Learning how to create and distribute stories related to security by using social media
• Developing awareness of best practices and ethical considerations regarding the use of social media
For full access to Media Toolkit for Trainers (Tool 6) : Social Media and Security Sector Governance, please follow the link.