To provide surge capacity to the AUC DSD in the conceptualisation and implementation of a successful first SSR Steering Committee meeting through:
- Input and assistance in finalization of the Draft Concept Note and Terms of Reference.
- Provision of comment/input on the draft Agenda.
- Facilitation of panel discussions on the implementation of the AU SSR Framework in Member States engaged in SSR initiatives.
- Presentation on relevant topic (TBC).
- Support the AUC on strengthening engagement with regional and international partners to collectively improve their support to Member States activities related to SSR.
- Support the identification of recommendations and way forward for the Steering Committee based on needs and actions identified.
- Reinforcement of the secretariat on reporting.
Training workshop on the African Union Operational Guidance Note on Gender and Security Sector Reform
The overall objective of the workshop is:
(i) to create a platform of discussion among participants on the status (gaps and challenges) on gender mainstreaming in Defence and Security institutions at national levels of AU Member States and in Peace Support Operations (PSO), and
(ii) to sensitize and train participants on the utilization of AU Gender OGN to address identified issues.
Support to the AU “Training and sensitization workshop on the OGN on code of conducts for African security institutions"
Under the 2013 programme ‘Building African Union Capacities in Security Sector Reform’, the African Union Commission (AUC) has produced a number of SSR Operational Guidance Notes (OGN) and other policy documents to support the implementation of the AU-SSR Policy Framework. Amongst these is the OGN on “code of conducts for African security institutions” which requires priority dissemination given the recommended setting-up of normative frameworks by Member States.
In addition, the AUC is currently on an advanced stage in the process of development of two important PSO policy tools, namely i) AU Policy on Code of Conduct and Discipline in Peace Support Operations and ii) AU policy on prevention and response to sexual exploitation and abuse for Peace Support Operations.
The Commission of the African Union (AU) will convene the 2nd Africa Forum on Security Sector Reform (SSR) on 22 – 24 October 2018. The workshop will take place at the AU Headquarters in Addis Ababa. The aim of the 2nd Africa Forum on SSR is to take stock of SSR developments on the African continent and to map a way forward for AU Member States, RECS/RMs, the international partners and African stakeholders. DCAF is requested to support the African Union Commission in the organization and management of the event before, during and after the dates of the event.
- The ISSAT Expert is needed to deliver a session on SSR strategic planning processes and guide participants from AU Member States in the Eastern African Region on how to initiate their national SSR planning and implementation processes.
- The expert will also assist in the facilitation of the workshop deliberations and processes.