Building on the mechanism of the informal dialogue on Defence Sector Reform (DSR) established between the three organizations, the workshop aims to provide a platform for exchange among experts and practitioners from the UN, EU and NATO. The workshop also presents an opportunity to expand the dialogue to other actors in the area of DSR, in particular the African Union and the Economics Community of West African States (ECOWAS).
The workshop provides an opportunity to the appointed DSR focal points and relevant experts from partner organizations to identify practical challenges and possible approaches to enhance cooperation throughout the planning, implementation and monitoring of DSR support. This is intended to place the focus of the discussion on issues arising in practical cooperation, to ensure a more effective and efficient delivery of DSR in the field.
Mandating organisation / agency / department / ministry
Target organisation type(s)
Mandate outputs / products
- Preparation and facilitation of a one-day workshop on DSR;
- Preparation of a short summary of key recommendations (two-page max) to be submitted to the three Organisations' Principals strategic level meetings for endorsement;
- Preparation of full workshop report;
- Possible follow on activities emanating from the workshop.
Outcome objectives of mandate
- Formalization of DSR focal point coordination mechanism between the EU, NATO and the UN for closer collaboration on the delivery of DSR mandates in the field.