Sida recently requested ISSAT support to conduct a mapping of its SSR portfolio. The key purpose of this mapping is to provide Sida with a baseline understanding of the nature of its SSR programming which targets the core of SSR including security and justice institutional reform and governance and accountability aspects of the security and justice actors. The mapping will look across Sida’s geographic portfolios, covering the period of 2013-2018.
The Swedish National Police (SNP) has requested ISSAT support to conduct a mid-term evaluation for its Police Cooperation project in Liberia. The project has been implemented by the SNP since 2016 and is expected to end in 2019. Previously the Swedish National Police supported the LNP in the area of crime scene investigations through a bilateral program 2009-2015. The project purpose is to achieve improved quality of crime investigations including Sexual Gender Basedc Violence (SGBV), basic crime investigation, basic crime scene investigation and cooperation between the LNP and the Prosecution Service in three police station areas. The project components focus on addressing important challenges and needs as formulated by the Liberian police and prosecutors who attended the workshop:
- Training in basic crime investigations, basic crime scene investigations and investigations of SGBV crimes.
- Guidelines to optimize the quality control of any crime investigation case forwarded to the Prosecution Service.
- Basic forensic equipment.
- Improved premises and facilities for one stop centres and comfort rooms for SGBV victims .
- Improved cooperation between police and prosecutors.
- Public awareness raising.
The Folke Bernadotte Academy (FBA) would like to mandate ISSAT to conduct a knowledge mapping with regards to academic SSR analysis. The assignment would be conducted as a desk study and would include going through existing knowledge on SSR over the past five years as to see what the main trends and lessons learned are. Questions to be answered would be:
- What has worked/has not worked with regards to planning, implementing and evaluating SSR activities?
- What does the existing knowledge tell us about what changes are needed in the way we are working on SSR, in order to improve the outcome of SSR activities?
The mapping should also include the following:
- How should gender-responsive SSR be conducted?
- In what way can local ownership be ensured?
The objective is to provide FBA with an operationally relevant summary of what has currently been demonstrated to work in SSR programming, not restricted to the literature that is self-described as SSR-focused, and not limited to English language literature. The report intends to provide FBA with information that can be directly used to inform and shape Swedish (and partner nation) SSR programming by capturing and integrating the findings of the most current research studies.