The Swiss Federal Department of Defence, Civil Protection and Sport has organised an SSR workshop as part of the Swiss UN Military Observer Course (SUNMOC). ISSAT has been invited to support this workshop for one day.
The target audience was a multinational group of military officers who are candidates for UN monitoring missions. Rank range was from lieutenant to lieutenant colonel. Participant group was between 25-30 people.
The main objectives of this workshop included:
- Better understanding of the concept and evolution of SSR, including actors, concepts and principles;
- Develop the basic knowledge required to support SSR in post-conflict environments;
- A comprehension of the linkages between PSO & SSR
- Use concrete case studies to build on lessons learned and apply concepts to practice
Mandating organisation / agency / department / ministry
Target organisation type(s)
Mandate outputs / products
- Delivery of a workshop within the context of the PSO course
Outcome objectives of mandate
- Increased understanding of the concept and principles of SSR and the linkages with PSO
- Development of basic knowledge required to support SSR in post-conflict environments