This advanced course is designed for practitioners and professionals who are working in the field of SSR and would like to gain more insight into the concept, context and components of SSR. Packed with exercises, case studies and role plays, this intensive course helps participants understand the challenges relating to SSR and help evolve possible solutions to common roadblocks.
- Revisit the main principles of the Introductory SSR Course;
- Understand the context within which SSR is carried out, and the related challenges;
- Focus on specific components of SSR like police, defence, justice and rule of law etc;
- Mainstream cross-cutting issues into their SSR programmes;
- Hone their soft skills like negotiation and bargaining;
- Be exposed to tools like SWOT or stakeholder analysis.
The following list is indicative of some of the sessions that would be delivered in the course:
- Concepts of SSR (local ownership, political will, accountability & effectiveness etc)
- Context of SSR (post-conflict context etc)
- Components of the security sector (police reforms, rule of law, defence reforms etc)
- Processes of SSR (assessments, planning, evaluation etc)
- Cross-cutting issues (gender, cultural awareness etc)
- Soft skills & tools (negotiation, coordination, SWOT, stakeholder analysis etc)
Successful completion of the ISSAT online course Introduction to SSR, available here.
How to apply
All individuals interested in attending an Advanced course are requested to click on the related link in the course calendar and follow the application procedure specified for each training. Any queries can also be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.