DCAF – Geneva Centre for Security Sector Governance is dedicated to improving the security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights. DCAF contributes to making peace and development more sustainable by assisting partner states and international actors supporting these states, to improve the governance of their security sector through inclusive and participatory reforms. It creates innovative knowledge products, promotes norms and good practices, provides legal and policy advice and supports capacity‐building of both state and non‐state security sector stakeholders.
DCAF's Foundation Council brings together representatives of around 60 states. Active in over 70 countries, DCAF is internationally recognized as one of the world's leading centres of excellence for security sector governance (SSG) and security sector reform (SSR). DCAF is guided by the operational principles of impartiality, local ownership, inclusive participation, and gender equality. DCAF embraces and promotes values of accountability, excellence, inclusivity, integrity and respect. For more information please visit www.dcaf.ch
ISSAT is a Department of DCAF established in 2008 in response to the need to increase the capacity of the international community to support Security Sector Governance/Reform (SSG/R) processes, to enhance the effectiveness and quality of SSG/R programming, and to facilitate the coordination and coherence of international assistance for nationally driven SSR/G processes. For more information, please see: www.issat.dcaf.ch
For our team, we are looking for a dynamic and solutions-oriented individual to be our next:
Intern to support ISSAT’s transition to Sharepoint-Teams online
Starting date: September 1, 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Duration: Until end of February 2022
The role: Supporting ISSAT’s transition to the Sharepoint-Teams platform
DCAF is a knowledge organisation. It’s expertise and ability to continually learn from policy, research and practice are part of its core offering to partners. DCAF’s 2020-2024 strategy emphasizes the importance of organizational learning and knowledge management, in line with this, it has designated 2021 as the ‘Year of Learning’. Taking stock of past and current initiatives Senior Management has directed the organisation to focus on tools, practices and culture. Based on this directive, ISSAT will be designing and deploying its Sharepoint-Teams Departmental site and onboarding and equipping ISSAT personnel with the skills and aptitudes to realise the full potential of the platform.
This internship is a great opportunity to experience at first hand working in an international organisation at a pivotal moment in its history, learning to develop, track and report on work plans, to research and present information and concepts to management, and be involved in assisting ISSAT to deploy a knowledge management and collaboration platform.
• Review and assess Sharepoint-Teams functions for ISSAT Team use and draft at least of 6 ‘how-to’ / ‘cheat sheets’ short guides (+/- 1 page each) for the ISSAT Team.
• Research and propose tool for the migration of docs/files from shared drive to Sharepoint.
• Assist in the development of workflows for ISSAT processes eg. Mandate Approval Process, etc.
• Create a calendar app that provides a single view of member availability and absences (leave, mission, mandate etc.)
• Perform other Sharepoint-Teams related tasks as required by the Project Coordinator during the transition process.
• Students currently enrolled in Business Intelligence / Business Analytics / Data science / Computational Social Science or closely related field;
• Experience of Microsoft Office 365 tools in particular MS Sharepoint, Teams and Power Automate.
• Good command of English is required; other languages an asset;
• Good intercultural communication skills;
• Swiss or EU citizenship or a valid work permit for Switzerland at the time of application is a pre-requisite.
• a rewarding, dynamic and challenging work experience
• the chance to be part of a multicultural team of supportive, hardworking and values-driven people
• the chance to contribute to improving human, state and international security within a framework of democratic governance the rule of law, and respect for human rights as well as fostering multilateral cooperation in the field of climate change and security.
If you think you are a good match for DCAF and the Intern position advertised, please send your application to ISSATinternship@dcaf.ch by 27 August 2021 with the subject heading “Intern Sharepoint-Teams”, enclosing:
• a one-page motivational statement in English describing your relevant experience and what you can bring to DCAF
• a concise CV (maximum two pages)
Due to a large amount of applications, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
DCAF is committed to equality of opportunity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of sex, age, disability, gender identity, religion, or ethnicity.
Individuals who seek to serve with DCAF in any individual capacity will be required, if short-listed, to complete a self-attestation stating that they have not committed or been convicted of any criminal offence and have not been involved, by act or omission, in the commission of any violation of international human rights law or international humanitarian law.