The African Union requested assistance from DPKO’s SSR Unit to run a 2-day SSR orientation workshop for its personnel. DPKO’s SSR Unit, on behalf of the SSR Task Force, followed up with a request to ISSAT to support the design and roll-out of this training course at AU headquarters in Addis Ababa.
The training programme aimed to develop the AU’s capacity on SSR and targeted middle- and senior-level personnel working on SSR and related issues within the AU secretariat, field missions and permanent observer offices. Key objectives of the training included:
- To increase participants’ awareness and understanding of security sector reform (SSR), as well as both the African Union and the United Nations emerging approaches to SSR.
- To articulate challenges, lessons learned and requirements for the African Union’s support in the area of SSR.
- To identify potential principles for SSR inAfrica, which could be used in the further development of an African Union approach to SSR.
- To enhance the African Union’s capacity to “deliver as one” effective and holistic SSR support to sub-regional organizations and national authorities.
- To begin the process of developing a SSR Community of Practice within the African Union by promoting active membership across the Organisation.