ISSAT was mandated by the United Nations Assistance Mission to Somalia (UNSOM) to support its initial thinking and activities under their programme on Security Sector Development, and as such, contribute to the initiation of broader strategic thinking by the Puntland security and justice institutions on the direction of their security sector development process.
ISSAT was requested to support UNSOM’s Rule of Law and Security Institutions Group (ROLSIG) through the provision of advisory personnel with experience and knowledge of ministerial, parliamentary and public oversight of security forces, facilitation, and strategic development, as well as good practice in supporting nationally-led processes. The support contributed to reinforcing UNSOM in its process of facilitating the clarification of roles and responsibilities within the Puntland’s security sector as well as support a process of strategic thinking on security sector development.
ISSAT supported UNSOM by further enhancing the way in which the UN:
- supported civil society to engage in SSR;
- supported the MoS (Ministry of Security) to;
- adopted a holistic approach to institutional development of the security and justice sector;
- adopted a risk management approach, and considered unforeseen consequences; and
- worked coherently across the relevant UN agencies.
The below activities were achieved through a joint UNSOM/ISSAT team approach.
- Capacity development of the MoS Strategic Analysis Unit (SAU) in collaboration with the local NGO the Puntland Development Research Center (PDRC);
- Capacity development of the MoS to build a better understanding of their role as a security ministry;
- Identification of risks of engagement with UNSOM and UNDP.
Mandating organisation / agency / department / ministry
Target organisation type(s)
Mandate outputs / products
- A set of recommendations for enhancing UNSOM’s support to the development of the Strategic Analysis Unit (SAU) within the MoS, including the institutional set-up of the SAU and the inclusion of the PDRC and other civil society organisations;
- Input to UNSOM key documents regarding its support to the MoS's strategic direction;
- Guidance material for the MoS presenting a set of typical roles and principles for a Ministry of Security.
Outcome objectives of mandate
This mandate intended to contribute to ensuring that UNSOM’s engagement to support the Puntland security and justice providers was in line with good practice and integrated international lessons learned.