The specific objectives of this national training workshop are:
- To train 38 officials from the relevant security and justice institutions on formulating and updating their comprehensive national SSR and DDR related Security strategies;
- To provide a platform for national and regional technical experts to jointly reflect on their SSR and DDR priority areas identified in their National Security Policies (NSP) and to further compare with AU and IGAD Peace and Security Policy Frameworks that have been formulated;
- To assess and review the existing related National Security Policies and Strategies; as well as respectively evaluate their implementation and key possible gaps;
- To explore ways for IGAD, AU and UN, on their complementary roles and responsibilities, to assist the State in updating and implementing its strategies and initiatives;
- To engage experts from national security institutions, AU and UN to jointly develop and update SSR & Reintegration strategies at the national level as they are interrelated, based on the identification of relevant local and national SSR & DDR stakeholders;
- To enhance the required skills of participants and provide inspiration on the best practices of formulating and updating SSR & Reintegration strategies by involving resource persons with great wealth of experience and knowledge
Mandate outputs / products
Delivery of 2 – 3 training sessions on SSR and national strategies, involving practical exercises where participants will be tasked with the process of drafting their own policies and strategies.
Intended immediate outcomes of mandate
- Acquired knowledge about SSR and DDR definitions, principles and concepts;
- Learned about practical SSR and DDR experiments in the fields and best practices;
- Improved understanding of drafting and formulating SSR and DDR policy frameworks and related operational guidance notes;
- Identified SSR and DDR challenges and gaps by the participants and the steps needed to address them;
Guided by the IGAD Peace and Security Strategy, UN & AU SSR policy frameworks and national policy documents, designated roadmap/teams/focal points to update, plan and coordinate SSR and DDR activities respectively.