Monday 14 May 2018 Session
This sensitization session is held in Yaoundé and is conducted in collaboration with the International Security Sector Advisory Team (ISSAT) of the Center for the Democratic Control of the Armed Forces (DCAF). It aims to develop basic knowledge and skills in SSR through an interactive and practical training approach. This course allows participants to:
- Gain a better understanding of the concept of SSR, as well as its actors, evolutions and principles
- To understand the political nature of SSR and the challenges faced in setting up SSR processes in fragile or conflict-affected states
- Use concrete cases to learn lessons and apply concepts in practice
The following list outlines some topics that are covered during the course:
- Introduction to the concept of SSR and the evolution of international SSR approaches and policy frameworks
- SSR applied to operational decision-making
- The scope of the security sector
- The gender dimension in the SSR
- SSR programming in post-conflict contexts
- The role of non-state actors in the SSR
- The challenge of coordination in SSR programs
The course is intended for senior gendarmerie officers and various army corps as well as senior police commissioners. These staff are either already in charge of SSR support or other related areas, or planning to work on SSR or other related issues in future assignments.
The course is conducted in French.