Between the 9-13 Nov 2020 staff from ISSAT & SSAD supported a training workshop held in Juba, South Sudan hosted by IGAD Security Sector Program (IGAD SSP). The workshop titled ‘Formulating/Updating the Security Sector Reform (SSR) and Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration (DDR) strategies for South Sudan’ This national training workshop brought together 25 officials from the key security and justice institutions and ministries within South Sudan.
Presentations and discussions focused upon supporting the formulation and update of national SSR and DDR related Security strategies; by providing a platform for national and regional technical experts to jointly reflect on SSR and DDR priority areas identified in National Security Policies (NSP) and to further compare with AU and IGAD Peace and Security Policy Frameworks that have been formulated.
Mandating organisation / agency / department / ministry
Outcome objectives of mandate
Expected outcomes: at the end of the workshop, the participants will have:
- Acquired knowledge about SSR and DDR definitions, principles and concepts;
- Learned about practical SSR and DDR experiments and best practices;
- Improved understanding of drafting, updating and formulating SSR and DDR policy frameworks and related operational guidance notes;
- Identified SSR and DDR challenges and gaps by the participants and the steps needed to address them;
- Designated roadmap/teams/focal points to plan and coordinate SSR and DDR strategy drafting activities respectively.