Following the submission of a comprehensive proposal for DCAF’s collaboration with IGAD’s Peace and Security Division and a successful pilot phase in 2019, IGAD’s Security Sector Programme (ISSP) has currently requested ISSAT to reinforce the capacity of their team delivering a five-day Training Workshop to support Sudan authorities in formulating S&J reform. This activity is part of the implementation of IGAD’s ongoing regional Peace and Security Strategy.
This support contributes to a strengthened African Peace and Security Architecture on SSR, as well as to improving IGAD’s assistance to its MS. This assistance incrementally builds the DCAF-IGAD partnership, contributing internationally to SDGs 5, 16, 17.
Mandate outputs / products
At the end of the five-day workshop, the participants will have:
- Acquired knowledge about SSR definitions, principles and concepts;
- Learned about practical SSR experiments and best practices;
- Improved understanding of drafting, updating and formulating SSR policy frameworks and related operational guidance notes;
- Identified SSR challenges and gaps by the participants and the steps needed to address them;
- Guided by the IGAD Peace and Security Strategy, UN & AU SSR policy frameworks and national policy documents, designated roadmap/teams to update, plan and coordinate security and justice reform activities respectively.
Intended immediate outcomes of mandate
- Strengthened ability of IGAD’s team designing and delivering the training workshop (through surge capacity)
- Enhancement of institutional capacities of the relevant Sudanese Government officials in formulating and updating their national security and justice reform policies and strategies, leveraging on strengths and opportunities to improve the rule of law.