Interview and insights from Eirin Mobekk, Chief Security Sector Reform Section at UNMISS at the time of this interview. She is author of several articles and books, including 'Security Sector Reform and the Challenges of Ownership', in The Future of Security Sector Reform edited by Mark Sedra.
Areas of the interview include:
- typical challenges faced by an SSR adviser
- coordinating in the face of resistance
- balancing short-term results with long-term goals
- helping communities understand the value of SSR
- the importance of local ownership
Whether it's a strategy, a policy, anything like that, or more basic lower level training etc, etc, without local ownership it's not going to work. Ever.