Target Country / Organisation
This course aimed to support the continued development of Security Sector Reform awareness and understanding for Bangladeshi Officers deploying into UN Peace Support Operations (SSR-PSO).
The programme took place from 13-15 November 2018 at the Bangladesh Institute for Peace Support Operations Training (BIPSOT), near Dhakar. The main objective of the course was to enhance participants’ knowledge, competence and confidence in applying SSR processes in order to improve their effectiveness when deployed to UN missions.
The training brought together approximately 30 participants with an inclusive mix of military, police and civilian backgrounds from across the region and who were currently engaged in, or plan to be engaged in international peace support operations. Not only the course laid the foundations for understanding SSR in the context of Peace Support Operations, but it also covered topics such as the international policy framework for SSR, conflict mapping, DDR and cross-cutting issues such as gender, governance and coordination.
Mandate outputs / products
- Course contents.
- Revision and tailoring of introduction to SSR course.
- Demonstrate facilitation of 3-day introductory course.
- After action review of lessons identified for progression to next stage of BIPSOT delivery.
Intended immediate outcomes of mandate
At an individual level:
- Increased knowledge and ownership of the key processes and contexts of SSR
- Increased awareness of the inter-connected nature of SSR activities in a PSO environment and principles of engagement to be realised through shared views and experiences in SSR trends and practice, which collectively, will help contribute to enhancing the effectiveness of their operational work and professional performance.
At an organisational level:
- Improved capability and capacity to deliver SSR training, via course planning, trainer development and training policy and scheduling.
- Incorporated SSR specific learning objectives into long term training delivery plan.