In an SSR context, police reform aims to transform the values, culture, policies and practices of police organizations so that police can perform their duties with respect for democratic values, human rights and the rule of law. Given the police’s direct interaction with the community and the powers typically conferred to them, it is vital to ensure that police officers adhere to high standards of professionalism and accountability in their work. A lack of effective democratic control, accountability and oversight over security institutions, notably the military and police, can trigger conflict.
Police reform also aims to improve the way law enforcement agencies interact and cooperate among themselves and with other parts of the security and justice sector, such as the courts, the military, border authorities or the parliamentary or independent authorities with oversight responsibilities, among others.
Selected Resources on Police Reform
ISSAT Knowledge Products on Police Reform
- Police Reform: Lessons from donor programming on accountability, demilitarization and representativeness of police institutions - Knowledge product
- 10 Tips for Police Internal Oversight - Blog
- Richard Monk on 'Police Reform and UN Peacekeeping' - Video
Police Reform Methodology and Practice
- Gender & Security Toolkit – Policing and Gender, DCAF, OSCE/ODIHR, UN Women: The Tool highlights ways in which police services can become more representative, respond better to gendered security needs and help to change societal expectations and biases.
- Toolkit on Police Integrity, DCAF: The Toolkit aims to assist police services in designing effective measures to curb police corruption.
- Police Reform Backgrounder, DCAF: This SSR Backgrounder is about applying the principles of good security sector governance to policing through police reform.
- Manual on Community-Oriented Policing in UN Peace Operations, UNPOL: This document spells out the fundamental principles, concept and approach to community-oriented policing for United Nations police.
- Police Reform within the Framework of Criminal Justice System Reform, OSCE: This Guidebook identifies the interfaces in the criminal justice process among the various institutions of the criminal justice chain.
- The Role of Capacity Building in Police Reform, OSCE: This book seeks to describe a model of police reform and the potential role of capacity-building in transition states.
- A Decade of Police Reform in Liberia: Perceptions, Challenges and Ways Ahead - Centre for Security Governance
- The Implementation of Police Reform in Bosnia and Herzegovina: Analysing UN and EU Efforts - Stability - International Journal of Security and Development
- Police Reform and Human Rights - Intersentia Uitgevers N V
- The Role of Capacity Building in Police Reform - OSCE
- Haitian National Police Reform Plan - UN Security Council
- Relationship Therapy: Making Arab Police Reform Work - EUISS
- What Has Changed in Policing since the Arab Uprisings of 2011? Surveying Policing Concepts and Modes of Contestation - Arab Reform Initiative
- What Has Changed in Policing since the Arab Uprisings of 2011? Challenges to Reform and Next Steps - Arab Reform Initiative
ISSAT Police Reform Mandates
- Evaluation of Swedish Police Programme in Moldova –Sweden, 2020
- ISSAT support to Danish National Police College on Gender Inclusive programming in Police Support - Denmark, 2020
- International Police Advisors Masterclass 2020 - Canada, Netherlands, Norway and the UK, 2020
- Evaluation of Swedish Police Programme in Albania–Sweden, 2019
- Workshop on Counterterrorism/Addressing Violent Extremism, Brindisi – UNDPO, Sweden, 2018
- International Police Advisors Masterclass 2018 - Canada, Netherlands, Norway and the UK, 2018
- Evaluation of Swedish Police Programme in Liberia - Sweden, 2018
- Sudan Police Scoping Mission - Switzerland, 2018
- International Police Advisors Masterclass 2017 - Canada, Netherlands, Norway and the UK, 2017
- EUPST training on SSR and Police Reform - UK, 2017
- External Review of the Functions, Structure and Capacity of the UN Police Division – Germany, Ireland, Norway, Sweden, UK, UN, 2016
- Assessment of the Punjab Police Training and Education System - Norway and UN, 2015-2016
- International Police Advisors Master Class 2016 - Australia, Canada, Netherlands, Norway, UK, 2016
- Evaluation of UNDP DRC Community Policing Programme - UN, 2015
- International Police Advisors Master Class 2015 - Australia, Canada, Netherlands, Norway, UK, 2015
- Review of UNPOL Induction Training, UN Mission in Liberia - Sweden, 2014
- Police Cooperation Programme in Albania - Sweden, 2014
- International Police Advisors Master Class 2014 - Australia, Canada, Netherlands, Norway, UK, 2014
- Review of the Implementation of the Action Plan for the Development Strategy of the Ministry of Interior of Serbia - Sweden, 2013-2014
- Workshop: Police Reform and Development in Libya - UNSMIL, 2013
- Programme Design of Swedish Support to Police Reforms in Kenya - Sweden, 2013