On behalf of the UN Inter-Agency SSR Task Force, the SSR Unit in DPKO requested ISSAT’s support for the facilitation of the AU-UN SSR Orientation Workshop on SSR, which took place in Cape Town, South Africa.
The workshop was targeted at the Pan-African Parliament (PAP) Committee on Cooperation, International Relations and Conflict Resolution.
In order to further support the development of the AU approach to SSR, this 3 day workshop aimed to:
- Introduce participants to key concepts in SSR, as well as the emerging AU and UN approaches to SSR;
- Provide an opportunity for the PAP, together with staff from the AU and the UN to contribute to the development of a comprehensive AU policy framework on SSR, which would form a key building block for further development of the UN approach to SSR; and,
- Contribute to the development of an effective PAP-AU-UN partnership in the area of SSR.
ISSAT personnel assisted in facilitating a number of sessions and practical exercises based on country examples.
Mandating organisation / agency / department / ministry
Target organisation type(s)
Mandate outputs / products
- SSR orientation course delivered to members of the PAP.
Outcome objectives of mandate
- Increased knowledge of international developments in the area of SSR and enhanced understanding and contribution to the goals of the AU in SSR on the African continent;
- Improved understanding of the need for security sector governance and management in Africa;
- Strengthened knowledge and deeper understanding and capacity for SSR in Africa;
- Enhanced knowledge of principles to support the development of effective SSR programmes;