Common Effort training aims at creating a strategic knowledge platform for developing comprehensive approaches toward building effective interaction and cooperation between civil and military organizations in order to address the multiple dimensions of fragility and conflict.
Common Effort 2020 will focus on the five subjects below:
1- Expert Group on G5 Sahel Joint Force – Justice Nexus
2- Expert Group on Trust, Human Rights, Gender, and Dialogue
3- Expert Group on Development and Security in fragile border areas
4- Expert Group on Engaging Youth for Security
5- Expert Group on Narrative Management (The Creation and Influence of Narratives and Counter-Narratives)
DCAF-ISSAT to participate in preparation meeting on 11 and 12 March 2020 and later contribute and facilitate through interactive, panel-based sessions a strategic (and regional) SSG/R perspective into the programme.
Mandating organisation / agency / department / ministry
Mandate outputs / products
- Engaging with G5 Sahel and other relevant (local) actors in the region to strengthen civil-military cooperation.
- Acting as a strategic knowledge platform where policy makers, experts and military exchange experiences and best practices on a comprehensive approach.
- Developing ideas for follow up activities and possible support to existing projects and programs and/or develop project ideas.
- Continuing the training in comprehensive planning and exchange of different perspectives of the different participating organizations.
- Present, discuss and capture SSG/R related topics within the Common Effort 2020 programme.
Intended immediate outcomes of mandate
Common Effort 2020 continues a three-year regional focus considering the foreign policy, security and development priorities of Germany and the Netherlands with a focus on the Sahel region. The three-year focus allows the Common Effort Community to better address the complexity of the region and helps the Community members to find their own role regarding the stabilization of the Sahel. Thus, the immediate outcome is to:
- Gain deeper insight into the complexities of (in)stability and fragility, regarding the SAHEL region;
- Identify opportunities and develop innovative ideas for integrated cooperative action within the Common Effort Community and with stakeholders in the region;
- Define the role of the Common Effort Community for supporting stability and security efforts in the Sahel taking into account German and Dutch security and development policies for the Sahel region.
- Position SSG/R within the wider context of Common Effort 2020