The Netherlands-Burundi cooperation was captured in a Memorandum of Understanding, signed in 2009. This MoU served as a framework for Netherlands-Burundi Security Sector Development programme (which included 3 pillars: Ministry of Public Security, Ministry of Defence and Security Sector Governance) for a period of eight years (2009-2017). This period was divided into four phases, each lasting two years. A strategic plan was developed for each phase.
The objective of this mandate was to carry out an evaluation of the Burundi SSD programme Phase II and formulate recommendations for the preparation of the next phases.
More specifically, ISSAT was required to:
- Evaluate the relevance of the Phase II objectives and the activities implemented to reach those objectives, from an SSD perspective and within the Burundi context.
- Evaluate the impact of Phase II activities with regard to the principles of SSR. Formulate recommendations to improve the relevance and design of Phase III objectives, activities, including measurable indicators.
- Evaluate the process of the Defence review (taking into account the recent study on the Defence review commissioned by the DSS).
- Define lessons learned in Phase II so the international community of SSR can profit from the successes and less successful parts of the SSD programme until now.
- The evaluation will also contribute to the assessment of the functioning of the SSD programme structure (efficiency, ability of the existing structure design to achieve the desired objectives) and formulate recommendations to improve the programme structure for Phase III.
The target audience of this evaluation is the management units of the SSD, the responsible units of the programme within the Dutch MFA (Embassy and DSH). The report will also be made available to a wider external public in Burundi and abroad.
Mandating organisation / agency / department / ministry
Target organisation type(s)
Mandate outputs / products
An evaluation report, written in French, with the findings and recommendations of the evaluation team.
Outcome objectives of mandate
Improved programme performance, reinforce monitoring and evaluation capacity of the SSD