This five-day intensive course will include four key modules including governance, defence reform, police reform and soft skills. A specific module on gender will be delivered. The course will also stress the importance of coordination at both the national and international level. Special focus will be paid to the role of regional and international actors in supporting SSR activities in Africa.
Mandating organisation / agency / department / ministry
Mandate outputs / products
- Increased knowledge on the SSR key processes among practitioners;
- Increased awareness of the inter-connected nature of SSR activities and programmes.
Outcome objectives of mandate
Specific objectives for the training include:
- Refresh participants’ knowledge on the concepts and characteristics of SSR;
- Place SSR within the international and national contexts, and explain how the context impacts on the approach to be taken;
- Build a practical understanding around the key characteristics (1-2-3) of SSR based on debate and discussions, exercises and case studies;
- Help practitioners understand their potential role in support for a national SSR process, including programming aspects related to SSR;
- Draw on SSR knowledge to identify key lessons from practical SSR experiences.